Our friend Joshua pronounced these beans “the bomb.com” when he ate them and the name stuck! But let’s face it – anything with bacon, onion and garlic in it can safely be given this name right? This was the anecdote to a boring can of green beans one night and it has become a family favorite. My kids will actually ask me to make them for dinner. There’s a little sweet, smoky and tangy…. elevated worlds above a plain can of green beans. They are delicious made with fresh green beans too. I’ve replicated the recipe with elephant kale, and cabbage as well. All pretty much just as delicious!
Bomb.com GreenbeansPrint This
- Two Cans Green Beans
- Half a Pack of Bacon
- Half an Onion
- Two Cloves of crushed Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt (more or less depending on saltiness of bacon and green beans. start slow and add more if need be)
- Chop onion and garlic into small pieces and saute in cast iron pan until bacon and onion are cooked (other pans like non stick work too but cast iron will give you the best flavor). DO NOT drain the bacon fat off.
- Drain your cans of green beans well and throw the green beans and garlic into the pan with the bacon and onion
- Keep the pan on medium/high heat and cook the green beans for about 5 minutes, occasionally stirring. You’re cooking off that can flavor and hopefully adding a tiny bit of caramelization to the beans
- Add the apple cider vinegar and drizzle the honey evenly over the beans. Stir it up, lil darling, stir it up.
- Add the salt and pepper. Taste test to see if you need more salt or vinegar or honey. Give it another 4-5 minutes of cooking on low.
- Serve. Say it with me. mmmmmm!
(P.S. don’t mind the charred chicken, I forgot about it on the grill while I was taking pictures of the beans, haha, #bloggerproblems)
The two things I've played with on this recipe is using french cut green beans, and adding and handful of pepitas. I love both, but I love pepitas in almost anything. So if you're feeling adventurous, do it!